SHORTCRUST PASTRY

Mrs. Robinson, my Domestic Science teacher at school, used to despair at my efforts to make pastry.  It was never very successful as I have warm hands and when you're making pastry everything has to be cold.  Then I discovered that I could make pastry in my Kenwood Mixer with the K-beater attachment and along with a marble rolling pin the problem was solved!  Then my Mother-in-Law shared her secret with me and I have never used shop bought pastry since.  It takes under 5 minutes to make and it's perfect every time.

INGREDIENTS
Plain Flour
Butter (at room temperature)
Water

My Mother-in-Law's secret is to use the following formula:

Half fat to flour
Half water to fat

So if you want to make some pastry to line a flan dish use 6oz flour, 3oz fat and 1½oz water.  It doesn't matter how much pastry you're making it is always the same.  Weigh the water and it's always turns out perfectly.

Another tip from my Mother-in-Law is to replace half the butter with pure lard which creates pastry with perfect texture and taste.  Or if you're looking to reduce the fat content of the pastry use half butter and half Trex which is a vegetable fat sold here in the UK.
See http://www.trex.co.uk

METHOD
Weigh all the ingredients. Place the flour and butter in a Kenwood mixer with the K-blade attached, or in a food processor with the mixing blade.  Mix until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and with the motor still running add the weighed water.  The mixture will very quickly come together into a ball. Remove the pastry ball, cover in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 mins to rest before using.

VARIATION - Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
This is Paul Hollywood's recipe.  Use the same method as above, mixing the flour and icing sugar together, adding the butter, then the egg and lemon juice:

7oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tbsp icing sugar
3½oz unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1cm/½in cubes
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp lemon juice

No comments:

Post a Comment